Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cutting Expenses: Part 1 - Who actually pays list price?


You are paying list price for your subscriptions and utilities, and you don't even know it.  You know what I'm talking about when I say list price.  It's the suggested retail price set by the manufacturer.  With all the competition between vendors and distributors, list price is rarely used, except when vendors want to show how great their price is, by comparing it to list price.  Now think of all the monthly bills you pay.  You are most likely paying these companies directly, without going through vendors.  In effect, unless you negotiate, you are most likely paying list price for these services.  The good news is that these companies do have competition, and where there is competition, there is price negotiation.  Many of the services you pay for every month, can be reduced with a simple phone call.

You never know until you ask

Since I'm strange and obsessive, and oddly take pleasure in it, I often just start calling all my all services asking if I can get better rates. This started last year when I noticed that my annual SiriusXM charge had hit my account for $150 (last year it was $80).  I immediately called them up and asked why it was so much.  They told me I took advantage of a promotion last year, which explains the increase this year.  My exact words were "well $150 is too much, what can you do for me?".  The NEXT sentence out of their mouth was "how about we give you the $80 rate again?".  Just like that, I saved $80.  

I was feeling cocky now.  

Convinced I was negotiating genius, I called up DirectTV and told them they charge me too much for the MLB and NFL sports packages.  They immediately cut the charges by $30/month.  Next I called my security company and they immediately gave me 3 months free (worth $100 total).  Next was my gym membership, and they knocked $5 off my monthly bill (every bit counts).  

On and on this went, and after about a hour, I had knocked about $150 off my monthly expenses.  I don't consider myself the brightest light in the harbor, but I just saved $1,800/year with under a hour of work.  If you make $50,000 a year, you just got the equivalent of a 3.6% raise.  You didn't even have to laugh your boss's jokes to get it. 

Some of the places where you can save money:


  • Internet provider
  • Cable/Satellite provider
  • Gym memberships
  • Credit card interest rates
  • Internet services (Pandora, Spotify, Netflix, credit monitoring)
  • Insurance (Car, home, boat, etc)
  • Cell phone bill

Start calling.  It may be uncomfortable at first, but remember, you are paying LIST PRICE.  These vendors are fighting for your business, and competing against each other.  Make them work for it.  Don't be that guy or gal that pays list price.

More expense cutting to come.  This is only part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment